Orcades Marine, based in Kirkwall, Orkney, is recruiting for a recent graduate for a structural design engineer post. The 12 month post will involve the graduate working with operationally experienced personnel to design, draw, and validate new ideas on a desk top basis.
The successful graduate will participate in two projects. One around the development of Floating Container Transhipment Terminal in Scapa Flow Orkney – Green Port. The second project will involve analysis of mooring systems and the design and use of existing infrastructure and equipment in an innovative way to help to drive down the cost of marine renewable installations.
Tasks of this post will involve:
1. Produce engineering constructional drawings of vessel hull conversions (such as bulk carriers/container vessels) and perform stability calculations to validate operations in set weather and environmental parameters. This should be achieved in the first 3 months of the placement and will potentially lead on to collaboration with partners to produce detailed design lasting a further 9 months.
2. Use of software modelling of vessel hulls and crane operations in set weather parameters in Scapa Flow. This should be achieved in the first 3 months of the placement and will potentially lead on to collaboration with partners to produce detailed design lasting a further 9 months.
3. Participate in the innovative design of marine renewable installation equipment including existing vessels, subsea interventions, moorings and installation processes. Working with operationally experienced personnel, the graduate will be asked to design/draw and validate new ideas on a desk top basis. Site visits will be required to develop the graduate’s experience base for this ongoing task within different areas of the industry.
This position is part funded by Highlands and Islands Enterprise and the European Regional Development Fund.
Skills / Experience
• Full understanding of construction of ships and ability to carry out technical and engineering drawing of the same
• Fully proficient in industry software such as Autocad and other advanced commercial software packages
• Ability to carry out complex ship stability calculations
• Some industry experience in a commercial environment
• Team player
• Ability to work on site in difficult environments
• Ability to think “out of the box” and contribute to innovative ideas
• Some practical skills/understanding of vessels or small boats
• Experience in Shipping/port operations
• Experience in Marine renewable developments
As part of this ScotGrad Graduate Placement Programme, the candidate will benefit from support from a team within Highlands and Islands Enterprise and also access a four day residential course training focussed on employability and business skills.
Orcades Marine is a leading provider of Marine Project Management and Consultancy Services to the Shipping and Port industry and the Offshore Renewable Energy Sector.
Operationally, our Mariners and Engineers have skills and experience which cross the spectrum from major marine project management, ship inspection and vessel management, to heavy lifts, to dynamic positioning, to tugs and towing and auditing to Port Marine Safety, ISM and ISPS Code. We also provide specialist risk management process, the formulation and production of procedures and innovative solutions for the marine renewable energy and port and shipping industry.
Aerospace, Defence and Marine
Company website: www.orcadesmarine.co.uk